Why is Japan considered a haven for parental child abductors?

Nippon
June 20, 2013

In May 2013, Japan approved a bill to join the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction treaty in an attempt to address the problem of cross-border parental child abduction. Notably, “In Japan, by contrast, 90% of all divorces are settled consensually out of court by filing a notification of divorce. Of the remaining 10%, the vast majority are settled by mediation in a family court.”

Read Article—

ADR Times is a community exploring mediation, conflict resolution, diplomacy and peace - a library of news, insights and resources. We welcome contributions and collaborations from other like-minded and proactive dispute resolution practitioners and scholars.