We came across an interesting new book on negotiations, Lawyering with Planned Early Negotiations: How You Can Get Good Results for Clients and Make Money, by John Lande, Professor and Director of the LLM Program in Dispute Resolution at the University of Missouri School of Law. Here is the book description:
Whether you’re a solo practitioner or in a mid- to large-sized firm, you negotiate often in your career. This guide discusses how you can be more successful using Planned Early Negotiations. The strategies in this book can help you become a more effective negotiator, which can increase your professional satisfaction, generate good will, relieve stress, and increase your effective billing rates with creative fee arrangements. This book is not only about negotiation — it outlines a general approach to practicing law.
This book will help you:
- Build strong relationships with your clients
- Choose billing systems that maximize both your interests and your clients’ interests
- Develop effective working relationships with the other side and minimize unnecessary conflict
- Increase your confidence when you negotiate
- Manage problems that commonly arise in negotiation
- Use experts and other professionals effectively
- Improve your negotiation skills throughout your career
More information is here.