[Ed. note: hat tip to our blog contributor Don Philbin.]
On January 20, 2010, the Council of Defense and Space Industry Associations (CODSIA) sent a letter to the Director of Defense Procurement and Acquisition Policy raising questions and issues in implementing Section 8116 of the Fiscal Year 2010 Defense Appropriations Act (aka the “Franken Amendment”). Section 8116 prohibits the use of funds for certain contracts unless the contractor agrees not to enter or enforce binding arbitration contracts with their employees.
CODSIA seeks to clarify Section 8116’s legislative intent in order to implement the amendment consistently. Find the letter describing the issues here.
- U.S. Arbitration and Mediation Legislative Update (Jan. 25, 2010)
- Guest-Post Part II | Employment Arbitration: Short-Term Value but Long-Term Harm (Jan. 7, 2010)
- Guest-Post Part I | Employment Arbitration: Short-Term Value but Long-Term Harm (Jan. 6, 2010)
- 2009 Developments: Consumer and Employment Arbitration (Dec. 23, 2009)
- Defense Contractor Mandatory Arbitration Passes Senate (Oct. 13, 2009)
- Jones v. Halliburton: Fifth Circuit Rules on Arbitration of Tort Claims by an Employee (Sept. 18, 2009)