From Ellen Deason, Chair of the AALS Dispute Resolution Section:
The annual AALS Alternative Dispute Resolution Works-in-Progress Conference is a wonderful opportunity for dispute resolution scholars from across the country to share their current research, obtain feedback, exchange ideas, connect with colleagues, and build new working relationships.
Sponsoring the conference is a meaningful way for an institution to participate in supporting the strength of scholarship in our field. Please consider submitting a proposal to sponsor the 2018 conference. Proposals are due March 19, 2018.
Here is the information needed to submit a proposal:
Hosting the AALS Alternative Dispute Resolution Section 2018 Works-in-Progress Conference
The AALS Alternative Dispute Resolution Section is seeking a host for the 12th Annual Works-in-Progress Conference to take place in the fall of 2018. The WIP Conference has become one of the “must attends” in the ADR academic field. Previous hosts include Marquette, Arizona State, Harvard, Oregon, Creighton, Ohio State, Cardozo, Southwestern, and Texas A&M.
The host institution is responsible for organizing all of the logistics for the conference, such as picking dates, lining up hotels, and scheduling receptions and presentations.
Additionally, the conference host is responsible for choosing the papers to be presented.
The Section’s Executive Committee will consider several criteria in selecting the next host institution, including:
• Planned mechanisms to enhance the rigorous yet collegial atmosphere of the program; factors to be considered include:
o Schedule and structure (number of days, length of presentations, one track or multiple tracks, etc.)
o Methods for ensuring that presenters receive quality feedback
• Planned outreach to attract junior faculty
• Planned or demonstrated outreach to attract law faculty from regional law schools
• Demonstrated engagement with the ADR academic community
• Indications of institutional support for the conference (e.g., funds for meals, sufficient staffing)
• Demonstrated experience with hosting similar events
• Proximity to a major airport and reasonably-priced hotels
• Any special circumstances that support an institution’s application
Proposals should be sent electronically to Professor Ellen Deason, 2018 Chair of the AALS ADR Section, email@example.com, by March 19, 2018. In the transmittal e-mail subject matter line, please put “AALS ADR Section WIP Conference Proposal.” If you have any questions, please contact Ellen Deason at the e-mail address listed above. We look forward to hearing from you!