Nancy Welsh, Chair-Elect of the ABA Section of Dispute Resolution, sent the following job announcement for the Section Director, which is based in Washington DC.
The Section of Dispute Resolution is the principal home within the American Bar Association for lawyers and non-lawyer associate members engaged in all facets of dispute resolution—as third party neutrals, lawyers representing clients in dispute resolution processes, academics, and dispute resolution program administrators. In addition to providing direct benefits to its nearly 15,000 members, the section advances the state of dispute resolution in the United States generally through the development of policies, best practices, and through special projects, and more specifically, for example, through in-person programs, webinars, and publications. The Section’s diverse membership, coupled with the ABA’s stature as the preeminent national association of legal professionals, provides the Section with a unique platform to promote and advance the practice of dispute resolution.
JOB SUMMARY and RESPONSIBILITIES:
The ABA Section of Dispute Resolution seeks a Director. The Director, working closely with leadership, a staff of six, and over 20 committees that promote dispute resolution growth in different substantive areas of law, has overall responsibility for executing the section’s ambitious agenda. The duties include: working with Section leadership to develop and implement strategic and policy initiatives; reporting to and working with internal ABA leadership; budgeting and planning, investment oversight; supervising and mentoring a six person staff; planning and conducting conferences, institutes, webinars and other legal educational events; publishing books and a quarterly magazine on cutting edge dispute resolution issues; developing new revenue streams; executing membership recruitment and retention plans; and expanding technology based services to the membership. The Director also works with internal and external collaborators in the dispute resolution field.
• An advanced degree in law, management, or business, or equivalent previous association management experience.
• At least seven years of prior management experience, preferably in an association or non-profit entity setting.
• Strong communication, public speaking, financial management, and organizational skills, ability to exercise independent judgment, and ability to work well with a variety of constituencies
• Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain successful interpersonal relationships with member leaders, Section staff and other ABA leaders and staff
• Demonstrated ability to lead and to prioritize and manage multiple simultaneous responsibilities
• Knowledge of or experience working in dispute resolution field is highly desirable
• Management experience working with boards of directors and multiple committee and membership structures is highly desirable
• This position requires some travel
All applications must be submitted online. To apply for this position please click here.
The American Bar Association is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with the American Bar Association, please call 312-988-5188.