In addition to the bills discussed in our last post, the 82nd Texas legislature also passed H.B. No. 1951, relating to the continuation and operation of the Texas Department of Insurance; Bill Status; Analysis. Part of the bill is provided below.
SECTION 1.003. Subchapter B, Chapter 36, Insurance Code, is amended by adding Section 36.110 to read as follows:
Sec. 36.110. NEGOTIATED RULEMAKING AND ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION POLICY. (a) The commissioner shall develop and implement a policy to encourage the use of:
(1) negotiated rulemaking procedures under Chapter 2008, Government Code, for the adoption of department rules; and
(2) appropriate alternative dispute resolution procedures under Chapter 2009, Government Code, to assist in the resolution of internal and external disputes under the department’s jurisdiction.
(b) The department’s procedures relating to alternative dispute resolution must conform, to the extent possible, to any model guidelines issued by the State Office of Administrative Hearings for the use of alternative dispute resolution by state agencies.
(c) The commissioner shall:
(1) coordinate the implementation of the policy adopted under Subsection (a);
(2) provide training as needed to implement the procedures for negotiated rulemaking or alternative dispute resolution; and
(3) collect data concerning the effectiveness of those procedures.
Hat tip to our friend Amy Herzog from Vinson and Elkins, LLP.